Monday, June 18, 2007

Am I being fickle?

I have a new love interest. Yes...I'm contemplating cheating on knitting and spinning with a few hobby. Here's a hint:
Lately I've been enamored with sewing. Or at least the idea of sewing. Granted, I haven't actually SEWN anything yet, but I went shopping today. I went to the local quilt shop here in Caldwell. Cindy's Quilt Shop. What beautiful fabric and colors. I was overwhelmed. Kind of like the first time I went into a yarn store. I walked around for probably 30 minutes before I decided on these 2 fabrics.

I bought a yard of each fabric, and think I'll start with a tote bag. Way back in the day, I took home-ec in 4-H, and I had a brief stint with quilting a few years ago, but it's been awhile since I've even taken the sewing machine out of the case. I am on this kick where I want to make the kids' clothes. Yeah. Right between my 12 hour days and 14 hour call nights.

Basically, what this is coming down to is I think I want a lifestyle change. I love my job most days, but I would love being home with my kids more. I want to be home to fix them lunch and dinner and bake cookies with them. There's no way I could quit working, but I would love to scale back and be a "homemaker/mom" type. 8 or 10 years ago, I would have died if I could hear myself saying this. And now my priorities have shifted more than I ever though possible. Mommy guilt? Reminiscing for the the "good ol' days" when I was a kid? I don't know. I just know that I wish things could be different right now. Any advice from working moms out there?

5 comments:

Quail Hill Knits said...

Go for it. I spin.....I knit.... I sew. Fabric is fun but knitting your own yardage opens up a whole new world. Experiment and enjoy.

ride2127 said...

I know how you are feeling! I would give anything to stay active as a teacher, but also stay home with my 1 year old daughter! It's hard knowing I want both! Luckily we have a great babysitter that we trust with our whole hearts!

LadyLungDoc said...

I highly recommend the book IRONDOC by Mamta Gautam - she covers the very issue that you are wrestling with. You need to do what is right for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

The rugrats are pulling at your heartstrings. Knit and perl(?) them back together and think of all those teenage mothers you're helping! Staying at home is as glamorous as a used tissue in the pocket of your dirty robe (which you wear all day because you couldn't find the time or effort to get dressed).
Karlyn

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Dr. Mommy needs to slow down & restructure her job. Right now I see patients 3 1/2 days per week & I'm SO GLAD. I know damn well I would be miserable staying home full time, but I love being a stay-home mom one day per week. Then again, shrinks don't work so friggin hard all the damn time like you family practice folks. This is not only a challenge to the professional culture you work in, but a challenge to your personal identity as a physician (as in "If I'm not gunning like a bat out of hell 24/7/365, does that make me a bad doctor?"). It will probably never be possible for you to be home full time, but you should be able to find some middle ground.